In January, my friend announced that her Teaching Musical Theory class required her to train one boy and one girl to sing in a recital. She picked the singer with the least experience and that's how I got the job. So for the last 12 weeks I spent an hour every Saturday learning different voice mechanics.
During the months of training, I would read the exchange of letters between my family and my brother who's on a mission. In one of our family letter, another brother told a story about a hard trial he had to overcome. After the incident, he summed up the experience by using his own snowboarding adage: "If you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough." A novice snowboarder myself, I took the quote to heart and wrote it down.
When the day of the recital finally arrived, I didn't feel too nervous. My singing ability hadn't risen to some miraculous level and given me a confidence boost, believe me, but I had performed in front of live audiences before, and I knew my song well enough. My turn came up, I stood in front of everyone, and started singing. The first note came out a little weird, like I had something in my throat. I muscled through the next few lines just fine, but soon forgot where I was and mumbled a forgotten line. Then, I came in ahead of the music and thanks to the amazing pianist, she covered up for me.
By the time I got back to my seat, I started to harshly critique myself. I put myself down into an ashamed state. I wanted to walk out of the recital. Then the words of my brother came into my head: If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough. In my mind, I failed the test, but I had learned so much. I dismissed any thoughts of "I wish I never tried out back in January" because I had obtained a new skill from the experience. And now if I am ever asked to do something like that again, I have some knowledge to go off of.
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I bet it was better than you make it out to be. We are our own worst critics. It's great to keep trying new things and someday when your are old and turning gray you will know just what you can't do but feel satisfied that you tried.
Merrill and I just happened across your blog while looking at the Archibald's blog. We think you should start posting again....although you may need to rename it since you aren't in college anymore.
Post a Comment