Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fruit Salad to the Rescue

I took Megan, Maddi's friend, on a date today. We went to the store and bought some fruit for a fruit salad which we took with us to the Y. Megan was struggling to get up the switchbacks, but with the view of the city I didn't mind the breaks. She started to feel a little dizzy, and we pulled out the fruit salads early and ate half of them. That did the trick as she was okay the rest of the hike. Once at the Y, we sat down on the white rocks and talked for a good hour. This was the proving grounds to see if her personality checks out. Unfortunately, it didn't (it turns out she's only 17 so she may just need some time to mature) but she was fun to talk to and I enjoyed my time with her.

I've been having daily gospel chats with a girl in my ward. Her name is Annelise and she has a very upbeat and righteous personality. However, Annelise wanted to get more out of her scriptures. She felt she was wasting her time reading because she wouldn't get anything out of it. So I called LeGrand. The next day we sat in LeGrand's office and he taught her a very important principle of scripture studying: we need to ask questions. As we find answers to these questions, our understanding becomes clearer and we can apply the scriptures more fully. To find the answers are not particularly hard either. We generally know the answers to our questions so we are mearly applying our knowledge. And since wisdom is the application of knowledge, help is always available, according to James 1:5.

No comments: