Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Basketball Break

My first weekend in Texas kept me busy. We arrived late Friday which means we had only Saturday to get settled in. When your room has nothing in it but your suitcase, you have a lot to do. So we ran around picking up the essentials and then some hoping we'd have something to come home to on Monday. After a long day of errands, we decided to take a well deserved break and took some guy's offer to play basketball that night.

We drove out to a church building where the guy said they were playing. We walked in to find about 20 people playing ball or waiting to play. I took a seat next to some people and started making small talk with the crowd. I eventually got to a cute girl with short black hair and a spunky personality. We started asking the general get-to-know-you questions, and I found out she went to the University of Utah but took the summer off to come home and work. I told her I spent a lot of my weekends in Salt Lake because I would snowboard with a good friend of mine. We tried making any connections to mutual friends, but even in the small Mormon world we live in, we couldn't find any.

As we started winding down our conversation, she said she'd see us at Family Home Evening that Monday, and I thought that sounded swell.

This is an important part of the story. I had no idea nor inclination from our conversation, but that night at basketball I met someone who would later make me a very happy guy. And that's how I met my girlfriend's best friend.

No comments: