Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Friday

Downtown San Antonio has a concert night the first Friday of every month called (drum roll, please) "First Friday". A lot of restaurants invite different local bands to come play creating a fun atmosphere to hang out in. One of my roommates suggested that we should go, and I just couldn't say no.

So my two roommates and I started making plans. Seeing as none of us had been downtown, we thought we'd get some locals to show us around. And who else but Syd and Julianne? So we called them and set it up.

That night we went by Julianne's house to pick them up. Now, we three boys aren't the youngest looking college students around, especially when we all have trimmed hair on the head and scruffy hair on the face. I'm only 23, but that night we could have ranged anywhere in the mid 20s to low 30s. So when the three of us knocked on the door and Julianne's mother opened it up, she had her suspicions and worries. When Julianne, Syd, and Jessica (Syd's sister) came to the door, the mother looked at us, looked at them, then at us again and said, "Now boys, I'm a little worried that you older boys are taking out these young girls."

Gulp! Stunned for a bit, I tried to put her mind at ease with the only thing that came to my mind:
"It's not a date."
Good one. Now she feels much better. *Sigh*
"Um, we're picking up another person on the way down so there's, um, no date here," I said, with a grin and a chuckle.

Not the best first impression I've ever done, but I think Julianne's mom judged us collectively so at least I could get another chance later on.

No comments: