On June 1, I woke up early and headed for the shower. I got to bed at a decent hour the night before, so once I got passed the normal morning tiredness, I felt very awake. I got out of the shower and put some slacks and a nice dress shirt on. I tried to not be too excited, but between the nerves of the first day of work and not knowing what my job actually entailed, the jolty feelings were hard to keep down.When I got to USAA's campus, I met with some college reps who directed me into a long meeting room where all the interns were seated. Finally, someone stood up and started welcoming us to USAA. Then the all-day orientation began. I don't wish to bore you with the business protocols, so let’s just say I was glad when it was over.
After the long day at work (in which I did nothing) and grabbing a quick bite to eat, I got in the car with my roommates and drove to the church building for Family Home Evening. I kept my eyes out for the short black haired girl I had met over the weekend. My roommates and I were walking down the hallway when she popped up and said hi. After we got through the sorry-I'm-horrible-with-names-so-can-you-remind-me-what-your's-is bit, Syd (the girl) asked us how work was and if we were enjoying San Antonio, but something caught my eye. To the left of Syd stood a cute, short, blonde who was politely listening to our conversation. Her straight hair ran just passed her shoulders and her green eyes stood out from the rest. Actually, her eyes are kind of big and were what stole my attention in the first place. I took a quick glance and if she had 1/2 as much personality as she had looks, she would be a catch.
Thankfully Syd turned to her and said, "Everyone, meet Jules! She's my," then in a corny and high pitched voice, "best friend." They exchanged some sort of gang-type handshake and I think I rolled my eyes.
"Jules? Is that really your name?"
"No, it's short for Julianne." Good.
"Oh, okay. So y'all are from San Antonio?"
giggles "Did you just say y'all?"
We started filing into the room where we played Bingo that night (only at FHE would a large group of college students play Bingo). As we were looking for seats, I thought that I didn't want to do anything to try and impress Julianne. I had just read a chapter in "10 Habits of Highly Effective People" and had made a goal to just be myself and not try to be someone I wasn't. If she was going to like me, she would like me for me. On top of all this, I still needed to find a solid group of friends. So when we sat down, I sat across from Syd, and Julianne sat a few chairs down from her. While we played Bingo, Syd and I would fight for pieces to put on our boards and I would make funny comments with the guys around me, but every so often I would sneak a glance down the table at Julianne just to see if she was looking back at me.
On the way home from FHE, my roommates and I started talking about the people we met that night. I eventually spewed out to one of my roommates, "Dude, you should date Jules!" Someone might ask why I said that, but it's very simple. Whenever I see a cute girl, I always suggest that one of my friends date her. I feel like it makes it look like I'm not interested and therefore I don't get any outside pressure to jump into it too fast. Plus, I get to see what the other guy's opinions are about the girl. I don't remember their responses, but regardless of what they said, I was already figuring out when I would get to see Syd and Julianne again.
2 comments:
The anticipation is killing me! And does she read this blog? I'd sure like to know what her version of the story is.
I do indeed read this. :)
My version isn't nearly as exciting as Byron's. All I remember is having my soft-serve from Costco that night, meeting some cool boys, playing Bingo, and then later playing Volleyball. When I did meet Byron I remember thinking, "that's an interesting name," but he seemed pretty quiet to me. And then later while playing volleyball I had no idea that he had actually played before on any kind of organized team and was thinking, "wow this guy is pretty good for just some pick-up game!" But that was pretty much it on my part.
Post a Comment