Sunday, August 2, 2009

Missing Volleyball

This needs a little background information about me. I played volleyball competitively and nationally since the 7th grade. I enjoyed every minute I was on the court. When I moved, jumped, dug a ball, or just watched teams play, I became excited and wanted to play more and more.

When I went to BYU, I played for the men's team and fell in love with the sport all over again. I grew stronger, faster, and more agile than before and boy did it feel good. Every morning we had work outs and we all talked to each other, pushed each other, and laughed at each other.

After my mission, I played for a few months, but found it hard to play and study. I began to lose my focus in volleyball because I needed to focus on my math class or history class. I even felt that I would be cut before the season even started. So to put my mind at ease and focus all my energy into one thing, I walked into my coaches office and told him I would be leaving the team. He talked to me for a few minutes and said I could take the month off and come back in January if I wanted to, but I knew I wouldn't. Not because I didn't want to (and all I wanted to do was play), but because I knew I had focus on school.

Now I still have the team issue clothes and shoes, and everytime I put them on, I think of what could have been. I miss the sport so much. I play when I can, but it's just not the same. I'm not as strong, fast, or agile as I was before. I don't have the time nor the luxary to have coaches teach me new skills. I don't have trainers to push me. I don't have a team with whom I can work and become friends. I just miss it.

But so goes life. Boy, do I miss it, but I feel I made the best choice for me and my future family. I am proud of my decision.

2 comments:

Lois Lane said...

That's gotta be hard to give up something you love so much, but wonderful that you realized what was more important and didn't sacrifice it.

Scott said...

Just look at what you have to look forward to. You'll probably be a great coach to a lot of kids who will love it as much or more than you do.