Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The GMAT

"How has your Christmas break been?"

"It's been fun. I went to New York, had a good time in San Diego, and studied for the GMAT."

Logically speaking, I just said that studying for the GMAT is fun. The scary thing is that it is fun. The test isn't difficult conceptually, but the questions are worded such that you need more than memorized rules to do well. You need to think, and I like that!

For those of you trying to remember which test is the GMAT, it's the Graduate Management Admissions Test. If you want to get a masters degree in business (MBA or a masters in a business emphasis), this standardized test is required. The questions consist of algebra, verbal and writing, and two essays. However, the GMAT is not testing you on math and your writing ability (although it uses them as a vehicle). The test determines how logically sound you are in decision making, the essence of business.

For example, look at the following question and determine which of the two given pieces of information is needed to solve the problem:

Is x an integer (e.g. -2, -1, 0, 1, 2...)?

(1) x is evenly divisible by 1/2.
(2) x is evenly divisible by 2.

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

I'll give the answer at the end of this post if you tried to solve it.

I sat down to take a practice test without looking at any help guides, and I get to these type of problems. Due to the question's unique format, my mind first tried to decide if the answers covered all of the options (they do) before solving the problem. I thought I answered 80% of the questions correctly, but the answer sheet said only half that much. Pathetic! So I went to the GMAT book I bought in New York and started brushing up on my logic skills. As of now my logic is only 40% correct; according to the GMAT, you shouldn't take any advice from me.
B is the correct answer.

1 comment:

Dr. Don said...

Dividing by 1/2 is the same as multiplying by 2 and any fraction with 2 in the denominator multiplied by 2 will give you an integer, so being evenly divisible by 1/2 is not a guarantee that the number is an integer.