I was watching "Home Improvement" the other day and Wilson, the character of infallible wisdom, taught Tim about our inherent drive to create. "You see, Tim, you can't bear children. So you are left with your drive to create which you satisfy through your projects." I've thought about this drive and realize that we all have it. Dad's flash tools, Mom's house, Dustin's art. This semester, I found my omnipotent niche in programming and it's thanks to Dr. Albrecht's vague and insufficient instruction.
Dr. Albrecht comes into class ready to fire 99mph fastballs at us. He launches into an hour lecture on how "easy" the next project will be. During his lecture, he explains the creation process as if we were gods. Then he'll under-estimate 8 hours of work. I respectfully disagree, Professor. To stay within his time expectancy, research starts building and code flies from my fingers. After doubling his estimation, I admire my completed creation. I love that feeling! When I can see what I have created, feelings of triumph and satisfaction begin to settle in. And I love that!
After every project, all I want to do is create something else. It's addicting! You must understand; I can't bear children.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes, but it does take two to create and just wait for the satisfaction you feel when you have children of your own.
Oh I'm so glad you said "when you have children."
Post a Comment