Thursday, December 25, 2008

How We Learn

When have you learned something for what it is? I mean really learned it? Seldom do I learn something without tying it to an analogy. Even with addition we use apples. If you have 1 apple and I give you 2 apples, how many apples do you have? Why can't we simply learn the relationship between 1 and 2?

Dr. Hansen, one of my professors, taught me databases without the use of analogies. The difference is a clear and applicable knowledge instead of a memorized idea. When I talk about databases, I speak of them as they are and not like...

So here's my thought on this: without analogy or shortcut, learning something as it is will be more beneficial than learning it with outside ideas. Not only is the knowledge more valuable, but the exercise of learning develops the mind for the future. Even if how something works is forgotten, the mind retains its ability to learn.

2 comments:

Eli said...

So what about parables? :)

Byron Mackay said...

My comments are for the imperfect mortals. :)